You're heading out of your front door, coffee in hand, and ready to start your day. You press unlock on your key fob and — nothing happens. You may wonder if there's something wrong with your key fob, but chances are its battery is dead. VW key replacement is a simple fix you can do at home, whether you have a new or pre-owned Volkswagen. First step: gather the following materials:
- New CR2032 battery
- Key ring with a circumference of one inch or so
- Small flat-head screwdriver
VW Key Battery Replacement: Step-by-Step Guide
Once you have the materials above, complete each of the following steps to replace your key fob battery in no time:
- Purchase a new three-volt CR2032 battery. You can find one at an office supply store or an electronics store.
- Push the button on the key fob until the key extends.
- Make sure your key is on a key ring to complete the next steps. Place the key ring on your index finger.
- Use your index finger to pull the key case apart while holding the fob steady with your other hand. Pull until the key fob separates.
- One of the halves is the remote case and has a seam. Use a small flat-head screwdriver to separate the sections at the seam. The VW key fob battery should be visible.
- Take the battery out of the case.
- Insert the new battery. Make sure the positive side is facing down.
- Close the remote case and reconnect the two sections of the VW key fob.
Can I Unlock My Car if My Key Fob Battery Dies?
If your vehicle has keyless access, you can use the bayonet key to enter your car and start the engine. Push the button on the key fob to release it. Position the fob against the steering column below the ignition and press the start button next to the gear stick in the center console to start the engine.
Do you drive a VW Toureg or CC? You don't have a bayonet key, but there is an emergency key inside your key fob. Simply press the button and the key will release. You can use the key to open your door, get inside, and start the engine.
Get More Car Care Tips from Volkswagen Santa Monica Near Brentwood!
Would you rather leave your VW key battery replacement to the professionals? Contact us with any questions or schedule an appointment online. Our team of certified technicians uses nothing but OEM VW parts during all services — no matter how small. While you're here, catch up on other services you may need by taking advantage of our ever-changing VW service specials and coupons!