Repairing scratches on your car involves abrasions, priming, coating, and retouching as needed. Read on to learn about each step and how Volkswagen Santa Monica can help take this job off your hands if you don’t feel like fixing car paint scratches.
The Supplies You’ll Need
Before starting, you’ll want to assemble these supplies:
- Prep solvent.
- Rubbing compounds.
- Sandpapers of many grits.
- Rubber gloves.
- Tack rag.
- Primer, base coat, and clear coat cans.
The Scratch Repair Process
The repair process can be broken down into three steps: abrasion, priming, and coating. Let’s go through each step so that you can understand the exact approach:
- First, you need to grind your scratch down with 180-grit sandpaper. This may feel wrong to you, but your car is going to look worse before it looks better. Don’t be afraid to get in there and grind it down to bare metal so that you can begin the process of making it look great again.
- Next, you’ll use sandable primer to fill what remains after you use the sandpaper. You’ll typically need to add around three coats and wait around 10 minutes between each spray. It’s actually pretty relaxing!
- Finally, you’ll use a base coat and sand with 1500-grit sandpaper. With each spray and wet-sanding, you’ll really start to see the end product.
Does this sound like too much work? We can help. Read on to learn more about Volkswagen Santa Monica’s service department!
Volkswagen Santa Monica Can Help
Whether you need to repair some scratches on your vehicle or you need us to investigate one of the many warning lights that may have come on, Volkswagen Santa Monica can help. Our team of factory-trained technicians bring decades of collective experience to bear on some of the most complex automotive problems. Be sure to check out our service specials to make sure you get the best possible deal on your next service appointment. If you have any questions or want to schedule an appointment with our service center, click here to contact us online or over the phone. We look forward to having the opportunity to help you get back on the road!